Monday, August 6, 2007

the Brother-in-Law

is moving to Toronto in a couple weeks, to design space robots at the U of T (no, really -- space robots). On Thursday he brought over a bunch of stuff to store in our basement, and a big old tub of books.

I haven't had a chance to go through them all carefully yet (the Bell-Jar? Really, Paul?) but I've already found one absolute treasure: a copy of the Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford. I'd read an excerpt of it before, but never seen a copy of the whole thing.

Ashford wrote it in 1890 at the age of nine. Then it sat in a drawer for thirty years until a family member came across it, thought it was hilarious (it is), and convinced Chatto & Windus to publish it. The main story is a love triangle between Alfred Salteena ("an elderly man of 42"), the 17 year old Ethel Monticue, and Salteena's pompous friend Bernard Clark, who invites Mr Salteena and Ethel for a visit:
My Dear Alfred,
I want you to come for a stop with me so I have sent you a top hat wraped up in tishu paper inside the box. Will you wear it staying with me because it is very uncommon. Please bring one of your young ladies whichever is the prettiest in the face.
I remain Yours truely
Bernard Clark

Mr Salteena is naive, enthusiastic and excitable. (He also has fat legs, a fact that's emphasized repeatedly, with the implication that Mr Clark's thin legs are what win him Ethel's heart.) He especially gets excited when he's served breakfast in bed, which happens several times and which apparently strikes him as the absolute height of class and luxury. Ethel is "peevish" and "sneery":
I shall put some red ruge on my face said Ethel because I am very pale owing to the drains in this house.

You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.

Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.

Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.

Leaving Ethel in the care of Mr Clark (big mistake), Mr Salteena puts himself in the hands of the Earl of Clincham, who specializes in helping commoners become gentlemen:
Personally I am a bit parshial to mere people said his Lordship but the point is that we charge a goodly sum for our training but however if you cant pay you need not join.

I can and will proclaimed Mr Salteena and he placed a £10 note on the desk. His Lordship slipped it in his trouser pocket. It will be £42 before I have done with you he said but you can pay me here and there as convenient.

Brilliantly, the Earl's program for converting Mr Salteena into a gentleman seems to consist entirely of introducing him to people under a false name: "You wont mind if I introduce you as Lord Hyssops do you... it wont matter and will look better."

My only complaint is that the book is too short -- I finished it in about an hour last night. So there you go, Paul -- I forgive you for trying to palm off Sylvia Plath on me.