Thursday, April 26, 2007

Unsolicited Parenting Advice from Strangers

Taking Agnes for a walk around the neighborhood in her stroller. She starts to fuss and cry towards the end of the walk, probably because it's almost time for her to eat.

A woman who is pulling her car out on Victor stops the car -- perpendicular across the street -- and opens the door so she can lean out and yell, "Your baby might be too hot! My baby cried once and it was because I had him bundled up too hot."


Later, we receive a second-hand piece of unsolicited advice via my mother, who was told by the woman who runs the El Salvadoran grocery store on Sargent that she should tell us that hot chocolate is very good for breast milk.

3 comments:

topazz said...

Silly woman (not your Mom, the other one). Chocolate is good in regular milk too. "Nestle makes the very best..."

I know, I know. But unsolicited advice-givers far outnumber new parents by something like 10 to 1, so just grin and bear it and then toss it and do what feels right - which is exactly what you're already doing, I'd wager.

Besides, rather that than having some stranger tell you that your baby is ugly.

Kevin Fournier said...

Hey, babe.

Sadly, the unsolicited advice from strangers has completely dried up. I was enjoying it, but I guess my wife and I have lost that look of dazed incompetence that encouraged people to tell us what to do.

Oh, well.

Dawn Coyote said...

Is it a look of dazed incompetence that does it? Because people seem eager to tell me what to do any old time at all, even over the phone.

I wonder if I just run into a great number of advice-givers, or if there's something about me that says, "please help me."